Tuesday 11 August 2009

Changing Others - Changing Oneself

“When I was young and free and my imagination had no limits, I dreamed of changing the world; as I grew older and wiser I discovered the world would not change, so I shortened my sights somewhat and decided to change my country, but it too seemed immovable. As I grew into my twilight years, in one last desperate attempt, I settled for changing only my family, those close to me. But alas, they would have none of it!

And now I realize as I lie on my death bed, if I had only changed myself, then, by example, I might have changed my family. From their aspirations and encouragement I would have been able to better my country, and who knows, I might have even changed the world.”

-A message inscribed at the tomb of an Anglican Bishop in Westminster Abbey. Quote from Simple Living in a Complex World by David Irvine

I realize now that something similar may have been written at my tomb if I had I continued concentrating only on the outside world. For many years, I was busy finding ways to change the world. Now, I’m busy changing myself. So simple, and yet, not easy to commit too on a daily basis.

Marquis Bureau

www.genuinecontactway.blogspot.com

Posted via email from MBureau's posterous

No comments: